Paleo Bread Rolls
Yes you heard me! BREAD. PALEO BREAD! heeeeeee. These are another tried and tested favourite from Caryn’s mom, Ingrid! They dont reeeeealllyyyy taste like bread. Seriously. I mean what can replace the wonderful sweet and squishy floury gluten-filled clouds of delicious-ness that is a Ciabatta roll? Or a Portuguese roll? Or French loaf? Mmmmm. No. These guys are not a perfect bread replacement, BUT they sure do well for carb-free, paleo bread rolls! What I do with these (as I do with most paleo snacks) is I freeze them and take out one as I need, otherwise you have the worry of trying to eat them all in like 2 days and that isn’t awesome.
They taste really great toasted with some honey, or even just butter. But the best part is when your family is having a braai and making prego rolls or hamburgers, you can go and eat it ALL on your paleo buns with zero carb guilt ;) yay!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 4 tbs psyllium husk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 175° Celsius
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Blend in eggs - Fold in, work QUICKLY
- Add boiling water - again, work as quickly as you can, folding in, without comprising on a smooth, lump-free end result
- DO NOT OVER MIX
- Put some olive oil on your hands to avoid sticking and shape your dough into buns - keep them quite flat as they rise a lot in the oven
- Bake at 175° for 40 minutes
- Turn doen the heat to 150° for the last 10 minutes.
- Freeze well