Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
I think I have said this many times before.. but I will say it again. Breakfast is the best meal of the day. I LOVE breakfast. Love eggs, love porridge, love cereal, love oats, love pancakes, flapjacks, french toast, criossants, omelettes, I love it ALL. Finding paleo / health conscious breakfasts that are not flipping boiled eggs and sweet potato or gluten-free oats is not easy. Kyla posted about Chia Meal a couple weeks ago – and let me tell you THAT is a winning breakfast. However, it is also expensive, and if you eat the way I eat then it only lasts like 5 days … :( Now although quinoa is expensive – a little goes a long way, and it is REALLY filling. Besides – even if you love eggs & sweet potato and/or chia meal, having some variety and options is always a good thing!
So paleo-ers look away, this one is not for you. Quinoa is a grain, but it is definitely the BEST ever grain and has so many health benefits PLUS it’s super high in protein which is always good for breakfast!! This is definitely going to be one of my go-to make-ahead breakfasts for the week.
OH and HEMP MILK. Have you? If you haven’t, you SHOULD. It’s not as expensive as almond milk (also almond milk & all the nuttiness is not always easy on everyone’s tums) and it’s not as …. coconutty as coconut milk (who would have thought! hehe) It’s high in protein and reeealllyyyy yum. I got mine from the Impala Fruit & Veg next to the Spar in Craighall Park, but I see Faithful-To-Nature’s website sells it too. More expensive than Impala though.
If you aren’t keen on Hemp or would rather a cheaper alternative then you can easily substitute the Hemp milk in here for water, coconut milk, soy milk, normal milk or almond milk.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 - 2 cups Hemp milk (or water, coconut milk, soy milk, normal milk, almond milk, rice milk, quinoa milk... any milk)
- A little extra Hemp milk (or your choice) for serving
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp honey
- Optional: 3 tbs pre-soaked flaxseeds (good for your tum)
- Optional to serve: 2 chopped bananas, berries, and almonds
- Pour quinoa, water, and milk into a pot and set to boil.
- Add the vanilla essence, and ground spices.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then add the honey and (optional) flaxseeds.
- Boil for a further 10 minutes, or until your porridge is the consistency you want and the quinoa is cooked.
- Serve with your choice of fruit & milk and enjoy!