Vegan Matcha Ice Cream
I love green. I love green tea, green smoothies, green clothes, I have a green wallet and green socks… Love. So when Matcha came to town with this beautiful green powder which you could use to make delicious green Matcha Lattes or add to your smooothies, or make Matcha chocolate with – I got super excited! Haha. It is obviously also one of those ingredients that is packed with amazing benefits – antioxidants, boosts memory, great for your skin and energy levels… You can read some more on the So Matcha website.
Anyway so all of that means adding Matcha to your diet is a good idea! Obviously I have made a million smoothies and Kyla a million and one smoothie bowls – so I thought I would try something a little different. The day I made this recipe it was a warm, toasty day in Joburg and it was THE perfect afternoon for ice cream. Ice cream and milkshakes are one of the few dairy items that I regularly miss. So naturally the idea of making a vegan icecream using the super awesome Matcha powder came to be!
If you would like to order your own Matcha powder you can buy it from the So Matcha website! You can also find them on Instagram & Facebook by searching SoMatcha!
- 2 cans of coconut milk (refrigerated over night)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 bananas (peeled, chopped & frozen over night)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp So Matcha matcha powder
- Spoon just the white fat from the top of the coconut milk cans into a blender or food processor - leaving the milky water at the bottom. You can keep that for adding to smoothies, sauces, or using with granola in the morning.
- Add the frozen banana, Matcha powder, vanilla, cinnamon and the juice of 1/2 a lemon to the mix and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mix into a freezer-proof dish and freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours.
- Serve it with some toasted walnuts or fresh fruit!