Vegan Protein Granola ~ Breakfast in a Jar
Listen, I am all about the smoothie breakfasts these days (in fact I have a smoothie recipe coming up soooooon as well!) but some days you just want to EAT something right? And finding a vegan/gluten free/dairy free/sugar free option is kinda difficult. I am not vegan – not yet anyway – but I do believe that avoiding meat in general is better for the planet AND ourselves. Besides, being allergic to eggs makes vegan breakfast kind of a natural decision. Now, it’s easy to be vegan if you are unhealthy. It is not easy to be vegan if you are trying to cut out wheat/gluten and sugar as well. That’s when you gotta start getting creative. Eating dinner for breakfast can be a thing, but sometimes rice and kale isn’t really that appealing before 7am in the morning…
So here is a vegan, gluten free and refined-sugar free breakfast recipe for you! It’s also packed with protein from the chia seeds and the chickpeas!
Did I tell you it had chickpeas in?
Chickpea granola is a thing. I made it a thing right now.
I had a (*cough rather large *cough) portion this morning and I am still FULL. And I don’t mean ‘not hungry’ I mean F. U. L. L. Like, I have my work lunch buddy giving me the evil eye cause I keep putting off going down for lunch. I am sorry Jolene. Stop hating. Next time I’ll have to bring her some of this power protein-vegan-packed-granola-full-of-goodness-breakfast as well :)
Ooh – and you see the pretty crochet placemat? That’s from my amazing work-mom Tracy ~ she is going to teach me how to crochet this year! Then I can make a whole set of the pretties!
Also, thanks to Consol SA for the beautiful Jars – they made the transporting of my best-ever-breakfast super simple and convenient. And no this is not a sponsored post.
- 500g gluten free oats
- 150g pumpkin seeds
- 200g chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 x Consol Jar in a Jar
- Preheat the oven to grill at 150° C.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey and mix together with the vanilla essence.
- Toss the granola ingredients together in a large bowl until everything is evenly coated in the coconut oil and honey mixture.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at a time tossing the granola in between. Depending on your oven it should be done after 45 minutes in total.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan.
- Drizzle the honey over and add the cinnamon and toss together.
- Fry until the chickpeas are sticky and starting to brown/burn.
- Keep the chickpeas separate to the granola - they only last about 4 days once cooked. This is why the Consol Jar in a Jar product is so great - you can keep fresh produce, like fruit, cooked stuff or other additions in the mini jar with the main dish in the big jar!